Unfortunately, scam calls are part of the world we live in. However, Morgan County REA wants our consumer-members to be aware of the tactics that scammers use, so that they can realize it is NOT Morgan County REA. See some tips below:
1. Scammers don't identify themselves.
- Most scammers introduce themselves as "your electric company". MCREA employees will always notify you that they are with Morgan County REA.
2. Scammers demand immediate payment by credit card or some other method, threatening to shut off power immediately if money is not received.
- Morgan County REA does not handle accounts in this manner. Do not provide any form of payment or other information if approached in this way.
3. Scammers tend to strike at certain times.
- The beginning of the month or around expected paydays is a common time for scam calls. Scammers rely on fear tactics to be successful.
If you ever have questions regarding the status of your account, you can always call MCREA at (970) 867-5688. Also consider downloading SmartHub, the free app that allows MCREA members to check and pay bills, track usage, and receive outage notifications.